We know what it feels like when you’re having trouble on a project and not able to move your research forward.
If you’re like us, you’re hungry for science. It’s thrilling when you make a new discovery. Let us help you choose the best solution in adaptive optics for your application so that wavefront aberrations don’t get in the way of your discoveries.
At Boston Micromachines, we get it.
The objects you’re looking at are either too small or too far away. If you’re working with lasers, you need better wavefront shaping. We’ve helped top research institutions like NASA, UC Berkeley, Lockheed Martin and Boston University overcome their adaptive optics challenges and experience project success.
What is our Mission?
We enable our customers to achieve their scientific, research, or technical goals through the use of wavefront control technology.
We are committed to helping you succeed so you can stop feeling stressed or confused about the many options.
The process is simple — Reach out, team up, and shape your light.
Reach out through email or just pick up the phone and call us.
Team up by working together closely to find or create the best solution for your project.
Finally, we’ll make sure you can shape your light in a way that achieves your goals and pushes your results to the next level.
Once you reach out to us, you’ll have taken the first step towards finding a solution. We partner with you every step of the way and our job is not done until your project is a success.
Our Executive Team
President & CEO
Paul has led pioneering research efforts in optical MEMS fabrication, system integration, and compact AO while overseeing multiple R&D contracts resulting in over $5M in research funding. He received his B.S. and M.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Boston University and has spent over 20 years working with small businesses.Read more >
Chief Technology Officer
Tom is a Boston University professor with a joint appointment in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering. He currently serves as the BU Photonics Center Director, where his team’s research focuses on developing useful devices with the aid of novel precision-manufacturing technologies.Read more >
Vice President of Engineering
Steven has been involved in optical MEMS R&D since 2000 and joined Boston Micromachines Corporation in 2002 where his research and product development efforts have led to commercial MEMS deformable mirror products that are enabling advances in imaging systems and optical communication systems using adaptive and active optics. He has successfully led multiple Phase I and Phase II Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) government contract awards for development of MEMS deformable mirrors and spatial light modulators. Steven is a graduate of San Jose State University (BSME) and Boston University (MSME.) Prior to joining Boston Micromachines Corporation Steven was a research and development engineer at Space System/Loral.Read more >
Vice President of Marketing & Sales
Michael is the head of Boston Micromachines Corporation's Marketing and Sales department. In his years at the company, he has grown the department in both size and reach, finding new markets for the company’s technology and leading sales from high volume OEM to highly customized systems to meet the customer’s needs. Michael is a graduate of SUNY Binghamton (BSME,) Boston University (MSME,) and Cornell Johnson Graduate School of Management (MBA.) Prior to joining BMC Michael worked nearly 10 years in the aerospace, power electronics and consumer electronics industries as an Engineer and Marketing Strategist.Read more >
We Are Hiring
Do you have what it takes to develop breakthrough optical technology?
If you want to be on the forefront of these modern designs to improve imaging in astronomy, microscopy, defense, and healthcare, please check back regularly and view our job listings to see where you can fit into our dynamic team of highly motivated researchers dedicated to advancing photonics applications.
We do not have any open positions at this time. For general applications, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Manufacturing Software Engineer for MEMS Production Team
We are seeking a skilled and dedicated Manufacturing Software Engineer to join our optical MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems) engineering and production team. This role involves the development, implementation, and maintenance of testing software, hardware control and automation software, and data analysis processes that support the efficient operation of our production line of active optical components. The ideal candidate will possess a strong background in software engineering, hardware control, data analysis, and have a good understanding of manufacturing and testing processes of electronics and/or optical components.
· Develop and maintain software tools and applications tailored to the specific needs of the production team, including automation scripts, data processing tools, and monitoring systems.
· Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams to understand their software and data analysis requirements and provide timely solutions to improve the efficiency and accuracy of the production processes.
· Analyze production data to identify trends, anomalies, and potential areas for improvement, and communicate findings to the relevant stakeholders within the production team.
· Support the integration of new technologies, tools, and methodologies into the existing production infrastructure to streamline operations and improve the quality of optical MEMS devices.
· Contribute to the development and execution of testing protocols and quality assurance procedures to ensure the reliability and consistency of commercial products.
· Provide technical guidance and support to the production team, including troubleshooting software-related issues, conducting training sessions, and documenting best practices and standard operating procedures.
· Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or a related field with 2+ years of experience.
· Proven experience in software development, process automation, and data analysis.
· Proficiency in programming languages such as Python, and C++ along with experience working with databases (SQL), data visualization tools, and statistical analysis software.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to interpret complex data sets and generate actionable insights to improve production efficiency and product quality.
· Excellent communication skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with multidisciplinary teams to address technical challenges and implement innovative solutions.
· A proactive and detail-oriented approach to work, with a strong commitment to maintaining high standards of software reliability and data accuracy within the production environment.
· Experience interfacing software to capture and send data to optical and electrical test equipment.
· Some knowledge of MEMS or semiconductor manufacturing and testing processes a plus.